Search Site

Tennessee Conservatorship Attorney Helps You Protect Your Family

Our Knoxville lawyer facilitates care for your dependent loved ones

G. Keith Alley, P.C. can help you arrange for the care of an elderly parent or disabled adult. As a knowledgeable estate planning attorney, I can help you have yourself or another responsible relative appointed as a conservator, with decision-making authority over your loved one’s health, finances and welfare. I can also guide you in choosing a professional conservator whom you can trust to manage your loved one’s needs.

Caring for an incapacitated adult

If you already act as the responsible party for an incapacitated adult or you have a child who will never be able to live independently, you definitely want to make arrangements for a conservatorship at your passing. As part of your estate planning, I can advise you on the most appropriate means of securing the financial support and assistance with life’s needs for your dependent loved ones.

Principled and sensitive advocacy during adversarial proceedings

Parents who have lived independently are often resistant to having their adult children care for them, even as the infirmities of old age set in. If you see an urgent need to assume authority over an aging parent or other relative for their own good, you may have to petition the court to be appointed as a conservator of your loved one’s person and estate. Your loved one is entitled to counsel to oppose you. If such circumstances arise, you can trust in my experience, professionalism and sensitivity as we proceed with the legal process. My goal is not only to win the appointment but, as much as possible, to impress upon your parent the loving motivations for your actions.

Executing a trust to benefit a special needs adult

If you are the responsible party in the life of an incapacitated adult, your estate plan should include a special needs trust to provide financial assistance after your passing. Leaving money directly to a person who receives Social Security Disability or Supplemental Security Income benefits could make them ineligible for assistance. By creating a trust, you ensure a consistent income stream that eases their financial burdens without jeopardizing eligibility. Your estate plan can also include provisions for requesting that the court appoint a conservator for your loved one at your passing.

Contact a thorough estate planning lawyer

For thorough and professional legal service, call G. Keith Alley, P.C. at 865-512-7075 or contact my office online to schedule a consultation. I have offices in Knoxville and assist clients throughout Knoxville, TN.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and our attorney will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Office
  • Knoxville Office
    259 N. Peters Road
    Suite 101
    Knoxville, Tennessee 37923
    Phone: 865-385-8623